The Senior Designer is primarily responsible for ensuring that timber frame structures are designed and drafted to meet customer requirements and expectations, as well as, monitoring the production process to ensure ‘Quality Control’ and the high service standard goals of the company are met in the final project/ product. Have the experience, knowledge & know-how, to take a project from inception to final product autonomously. You expected to maintain a high level of production while remaining accurate in your drawings & estimates/CO’s. In addition you will assist in the development of the Architectural Department within Canadian Timberframes.
- Meets with client/architect/designer/builder/engineer to discuss the customer requirements, expectations and budget on complex projects
- Prepares preliminary design sketches, design time, estimated machine time, board foot requirement, wood piece count, timber list and hand joinery for cost estimates
- Receive and process change orders; inform sales of extra work for costing & relay to client for approval.
- Development of detailed 2D design documents after approval for project has been obtained Revit software only.
- Development of detailed 3D Building Information Modeling (BIM) models in preparation for construction documents using Autodesk Revit software only.
- Development of detailed 3D BIM models for timber estimate purposes as well as full house construction material take-off. Also aid in the development of estimating with Autodesk Revit and finding certain efficiencies that will increase production.
- Reviews shop drawings, specifications, and construction material recommendations submitted by outside architects and contractors to ensure adherence to contract and notifies client of discrepancies.
- Site measuring and site checks if required. (Local jobs only)
- Technical assistance to other employees if need be.
- Receive final approval from client/builder/architect.
- Ensure software versions being used are current & training is up-to-date.
- Assist in keeping the co-workers of the company functioning as a team and keeping the morale high.
- Ensures company goals and customer objectives are met and projects a positive company image.
- Liaise with PDM as required through Architectural and Timber Frame design processes.
- Develop and maintain new and current details for Architectural Department design library.
- On contracted projects: design timber frame models & enclosure systems, develops the connection details, generates review drawings and prepares material lists & sawmill lists as well as the cutting title for the Hundegger
- Receive and process change orders; inform sales of new costing & review with client before approval
- Liaises with internal teams and client to maintain timeline of project - develops good working relationships and establishes a solid basis for cohesive team approach
- Coaches & mentors Junior Timber frame designers
- Ensures company goals and customer objectives are met and a projects a positive company image
- Monitor projects as they are being manufactured and assist the production and finishing departments
- Attend raising if local
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Excellent understanding, working knowledge and having a minimum of 7+ years’ experience with CAD software programs, Autodesk Revit and Autodesk AutoCAD in order to produce design documents, house plans, construction documents and 3D modeling.
Thorough knowledge of machine program by Hundegger & the Hundegger capabilities
Uses advanced understanding of design principals, terminology, project requirements, methods, practices, and techniques of heavy Timber Frame construction & general construction methods (as per the building codes)
Considers customer specific styles and needs – tailors designs accordingly
Is thoroughly knowledgeable about design process and is able to manage time, scope of project, project complexities appropriately and autonomously.
Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with clients & cross function personnel within company.
Positions self as a ‘consultant’ to team members internally as well as clients
Corrects oversights, Q’A’s on his/her own.
Must be a dynamic individual with the ability and skills to mold and motivate a team of individuals to achieve the goals as established.
Experience in both residential construction & commercial is an asset.
Is willing and eager to learn new techniques and practices in order to further his/her career in the in Architectural/Construction/Engineering (AEC) field as well as the maintain the excellent experience clients have when interacting with Canadian Timberframes Limited.
If you think you have what it takes, please email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org - and place position choice in the subject line. Good luck! We will be in touch with qualified individuals only.