The Senior Timber Designer is primarily responsible for ensuring that timber frame structures are designed and drafted to meet customer requirements and expectations, as well as, monitoring the production process to ensure ‘Quality Control’ and the high service standard goals of the company are met in the final project/ product. Have the experience, knowledge & know-how, to take a project from inception to final product autonomously.
- Meets with client/architect/designer/builder/engineer to discuss the customer requirements, expectations and budget on complex projects
- Prepares preliminary design sketches, design time, estimated machine time, board foot requirement, wood piece count, timber list and hand joinery for cost estimates
- Reviews with Design Manager: designs, specifications, alterations, cost estimates and that quality control checks are completed at appropriate stages within the project follow through to final approval
- On contracted projects: design timber frame models & enclosure systems, develops the connection details, generates review drawings and prepares material lists & sawmill lists as well as the cutting title for the Hundegger
- Receive and process change orders; inform sales of new costing & review with client before approval
- Liaises with internal teams and client to maintain timeline of project - develops good working relationships and establishes a solid basis for cohesive team approach
- Coaches & mentors Junior Timber frame designers
- Ensures company goals and customer objectives are met and a projects a positive company image
- Monitor projects as they are being manufactured and assist the production and finishing departments
- Attend raising if local
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Thorough knowledge of machine program by Hundegger & the Hundegger capabilities
Uses advanced understanding of design principals, terminology, project requirements, methods, practices, and techniques of heavy Timber Frame construction & general construction methods (as per the building codes)
Thorough knowledge of CAD program by CADWORK to prepare house plans, construction drawings and specifications from rough sketches to final design
Considers customer specific styles and needs – tailors designs accordingly
Is thoroughly knowledgeable about design process and is able to manage time, scope of project, project complexities appropriately and autonomously.
Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with clients & cross function personnel within company.
Positions self as a ‘consultant’ to team members internally as well as clients
Corrects oversights, Q’A’s on his/her own.
Ability & experience to cut joinery using hand tools
Ability & experience to raise Timber Frames on site
Please email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org - and place position choice in the subject line. Good luck! We will be in touch with qualified individuals only.